MONTE VISTA — Valley Monument Company owner John Glass along with his helper Matt Jacquez placed four benches in the Faith Hinkley Veteran’s Memorial Park on Aug. 13.
The benches were purchased by The Rio Grande Savings and Loan, David and Ann Young, The Kiwanis Club of Monte Vista and The Rotary Club of Monte Vista. Each individual/organization came up with the special wording that John beautifully inscribed on each bench. Thanks to John for his time and passion to this project.
Rob Vance, with the City of Monte Vista Parks and Recreation Department, organized and supervised his staff, Andrew Valenzuela, Dave Sisneros, Jesus Juarez and Craig Crown, to install the remaining portion of the fencing around the park the week of Aug. 13. This meets all the requirements of the GOCO grant. Again, thanks to Vance for his time and service to this project.
As mentioned from a previous article, the MVCF will continue to apply for grants and to organize fundraisers to complete the park which includes five stone monuments for the five military branches, pavers/stamped concrete to replace the red rock and a wall in front of the restroom area.
The latest additions have enhanced the beauty of the park and the City of Monte Vista. The benefits of the park will show:
• The community remembers and honors the veterans for their service.
• The community has a rich military tradition, cares and strongly supports what our armed forces have done for our community and country.
• How the veterans are thanked for the sacrifices they have undergone for the freedoms earned
• The ability to instill a sense of patriotism and serve as an important education tool for visitors.
• An opportunity for veterans, military members, family members, and friends to purchase Memorial Stones (Pavers) to remember, respect, and honor those who have served or are serving
Come and sit in the park on the benches and use the picnic tables as a way to enjoy its beauty and meaning and a time of personal reflection to honor our veterans and to give thanks for living in this great country.
Please contact Colette Skeff, at 852-3435, for donation information.